Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Texas

my brother recently died he had inherited my fathers house and died with in 5 months after my father.

My brothers wife is now living in my fathers house and refuses to pay the taxes and my brother had a daughter out of wed lock who also refuses to pay the taxes. Can I pay the taxes and foreclose on the house for the taxes.

Asked on 6/06/16, 12:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Paul Premack The Premack Law Office

No. He owned the house. On his death, his wife has homestead occupancy rights. She may also own the house if he left it to her in his Will (and if it was probated). Her refusal to pay her taxes does NOT open an opportunity for you. Only the state/county can foreclose for failure to pay taxes. You would be throwing away your money.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/16, 12:51 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Texas