Legal Question in Appeals and Writs in Virginia

What rights do I have?

My father passed away without a will?

There is me from his marriage, but.....there is a woman who has lived him with many years, they are not married.....does she have more right to his home, and automobile or anything over me?

Asked on 1/16/16, 3:20 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

No, since common law marriage is not recognized in the Commonwealth, and therefore unless this woman has been named by your deceased father as a beneficiary of his estate in a valid will, she has no sustainable legal claim to any of his assets (over you or anyone else).

Read more
Answered on 1/16/16, 10:52 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Appeals and Writs questions and answers in Virginia