Legal Question in Business Law in Virginia

I'm starting a business as a sole proprietor performing web development services. Should I procure an EIN for the business and why or why not?

Asked on 8/21/19, 6:27 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Beatson, II Law Offices of Robert Beatson, II

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your matter will require careful review and analysis of the facts/intended scope of IT/web development services business operations. An experienced tax/legal professional should be able to handle this and to prepare proper legal organizational documents under VA law to protect your personal assets, etc. Please contact me if I can be of any help to you or people you know now or in the future. Please note that a signed engagement letter is required under the VA ethics rules applicable to attorneys in order for this law office to provide professional tax/legal services to you. 30+ years of experience and further information about my law practice is at


Bob Beatson, 8-21-2019, 11:05 a.m. EST


Law Offices of Robert Beatson II

9818 Glynshire Way

Potomac, MD 20854

Tel/Fax 301-340-2951

email: [email protected]


Practice areas: Tax, business law, computer/high tech/biotech law, intellectual property, trusts/estates/wills, real estate, civil litigation, mediation.

Licensed to practice law in: DC, MD, VA, and NY

ABA Member since 1980

Read more
Answered on 8/21/19, 8:05 am
Jonathon Moseley Jonathon A. Moseley

No, I don't think you need to and on a small scale business I think you should not get a separate EIN.

A sole proprietorship is by its nature just you as an individual doing business in your own name.

It is possible to set up a separate EIN as the taxpayer identification number for a sole proprietorship.

And a sole proprietorship can grow to be quite big over time and with success.

The only reason to set up a separate EIN for a small business in your own name would be if you want to keep your social security number confidential from clients who might have to issue you 1099's for income.

But if you are interested in setting up a separate identity for your business from yourself, then you probably should go all the way to setting up an LLC or corporation which will be taxed directly as you as an individual under Subchapter S.

Read more
Answered on 8/22/19, 8:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Business Law questions and answers in Virginia