Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

can a person living in virginia who had virginia insurance, but was seeing a north carolina doctor in a nc hospital, be garnished for his part of the payments owed? also can unemployment be garnished in virginia for medical bills, as he is soon to be laid off?

Asked on 1/20/10, 7:52 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

More information (relevant facts) required.

Read more
Answered on 1/25/10, 11:39 am
Daniel Press Chung & Press, P.C.

You can be sued where you live for debts contracted anywhere. If they get a judgment (anywhere - VA or NC), they can enforce the judgment in VA. One way to enforce in VA is to garnish wages or bank accounts - the fact that the plaintiff is from somewhere else does not affect this. However, unemployment can't be garnished.

Read more
Answered on 2/26/10, 5:03 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia