Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Virginia

My wages are being garnished and I am requesting a hearing for garnishment exemption claim in Virginia. My exemption claim is for supoorting dependent children. It states that I must attach two items of proof showing entitlement to this exemption. I am unsure of what it is asking me to prove. Is it asking me to prove the children are mine; or do they want proof that I support them? If it is the latter, how do I show proof that I feed them provide shelter and clothe them?

Asked on 1/27/10, 5:26 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

What is being sought is proof that you are entitled to claim this particular exemption from the garnishment. You could bring a friend or relative along with you to the hearing who would be willing to testify under oath regarding your claim of support for the dependents. In addition, you could also bring to court a copy of last year's tax returns in which you claimed these children as dependents for tax purposes.

Read more
Answered on 2/02/10, 2:00 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Virginia