Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

Can aunts get visitation rights in the state of virginia? My neice and nephew have been in my life since the day they were born and now the parents have not let me see or spend time with me just because they don't like me. Is there a way to get visitation of them?

Asked on 11/29/13, 7:09 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

Yes, you can petition the J&DR;court in the city or county where the child

currently resides under Va. Code Sec. 20-124.1 as a "Person with a

legitimate interest" (in seeking visitation with minor child(ren) which

this statute makes clear is broadly construed and includes but is not

limited to grandparents, stepparents, former stepparents, blood relatives and family members, as long as the party has intervened in the suit or is

otherwise properly before the court.

Read more
Answered on 11/30/13, 12:39 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia