Legal Question in Family Law in Virginia

I am married and would like to file for divorce. I use to be a resident in GA but I moved to Chesapeake,VA . Neither my husband or I are asking or claiming anything.

I would like to know if I can file for divorce here in Chesapeake,VA or would I have to file for it in Georgia?

Asked on 3/02/20, 1:13 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Michael Hendrickson Law Office Michael E. Hendrickson

No, if you're now considered as legally domiciled in Virginia, i.e., have the necessary

documentation such as a driver's license, voter registration card, utility bills, copy of

lease, etc., which support your claim of residency in the Commonwealth for at least six

months or more, you should now be able to file your action for divorce in the local circuit court of the city or county in Virginia where you currently reside.

Office Tel. (703) 346-3542

Read more
Answered on 3/02/20, 1:32 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Virginia