Legal Question in Criminal Law in Washington

I have recanting my statement in a DV case in Washington state. I have been subpoena by the prosecuting attorney. Can I plead the 5th and not testify?

Asked on 10/14/11, 8:48 am

2 Answer from Attorneys

James J. White, attorney Law Offices of Smith & White, PLLC

Possibly but also maybe not. It will be at the discretion of the Judge whether your refusal to testify is contempt of court such that you will be held in jail until you do testify. This is a situation where I recommend you pay the $250 for an hour and come in to talk over the details. We can help guide you to the outcome you seek. But you are currently in peril of being charged with felony perjury charges so let's talk soon.

At your service,

Read more
Answered on 10/14/11, 8:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Washington