Legal Question in DUI Law in Washington

I was arrested for DUI in Washington but not charged with anything. I haven't gotten the results of the blood test. I am a Canadian citizen. Can I visit Canada?

Asked on 5/11/18, 2:26 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys


It depends on a number of factors. Are you here as a resident alien with a "green card?" As you may know or not know, DUI is a felony offense in Canada and American citizens who have been convicted and also just arrested for DUI are routinely barred from entry into Canada. I am not a Canadian lawyer so I cannot express an opinion on how your border agents will react when you cross the Canadian border and they find out you were arrested for DUI. I suggest that you call the Canadian Consulate in Seattle and discuss your situation with them and you can do so anonymously. From the Washington side, blood tests take about 6 to 12 weeks until they come back with the results and then the prosecutor may take from 30 to 180 days to file a case, depending upon the county in which you were arrested for DUI. You should speak to a DUI qualified lawyer with extensive experience like this writer to advise you in this situation. Good Luck!

Read more
Answered on 5/11/18, 2:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Washington