Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Wisconsin

i cashed 2 US savings bond 2 weeks ago that both had the face value of $100 but the bank teller made an error at the time and i got about $300 back when i was expecting $200 i brought it up at the time that i wasnt expecting to get this much back and I was excited about it (I dont really know how bonds work so I didnt realize how abnormal this was). the teller was new and there was 2 other tellers there who were helping her i even stayed for about 25min just to make sure she didnt forget to have me sign something. now 2 weeks later i get a phone call that $50 has been taken from my savings account and that i owe the bank another 46 and change because she entered the information wrong and instead of putting the year in as 1997 she entered it a 1987. how in gods name is this my fault. that money is already spent on food and school books and the 50 they took out of my account was the amount that i had to keep in to keep the saving account open im a college student with no job. do i have to pay them the remaining $46vor is this their fault and i should get my 50 back?

Asked on 9/01/16, 10:19 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

You probably agreed that errors could be corrected at any time in the account holder agreement you signed when you opened the account, regardless of whether or not the error was your fault. Key punching errors such as transposing numbers would therefore qualify. Sorry!

Answering this question does not make me your attorney, but you can post comments here for clarifications, etc. You can also see past answers to similar questions on AVVO at . Also see 15 years of past answers at Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

Read more
Answered on 9/02/16, 5:46 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Wisconsin