Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in Wisconsin

I recently tried to get in a senior living complex only to find out that I had a 800.00 dollar judgement from a previous landlord that I knew nothing about. I was never served court papers . is there anything I can do?

Asked on 1/27/16, 11:12 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

JAY Nixon nixon law offices

Depending upon your assets and income, you may have become judgment proof once you get rid of your home and other assets and retire. An experienced bankruptcy lawyer should interview you to see if you have any nonexempt assets. If not, there may literally be nothing that the creditor can do to you. Otherwise, you will have to look into a motion to reopen a judgment, which you could not economically do over $800 since your legal fees would probably exceed the amount owed.

Answering this question does not make me your attorney, but you can post comments here for clarifications, etc. You can also see past answers to similar questions on AVVO , or see over fifteen years of past answers at . See 15 years of past answers at Answers may contain attorney advertising materials.

Read more
Answered on 1/30/16, 5:43 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in Wisconsin