Alabama  |  Family Law

My Aunt claimed I abanded my child when she was 1 years old even though I was staying with her. Then she claims she has adopted her even though her daddy nor I signed any papers, they say I have no right to her and I only get to see her for a couple of days. Her medicine is under her birth name but they claim to have changed her name to my Aunts married name is this legal? I live in Alabama my child is 11 now and wants to live with me How can I go about doing this and prove they have illegally taken her away.

Answered on: 5/29/13, 9:13 am by Jennifer Tompkins

You will need to contact the juvenile clerks office in the county that they aunt lives and see if they have a termination of parental rights in your childs name. That would be the only way that there was a permanent order terminating your rights. Without that, they may have temporary custody and that could be changed through courts.

Have you seen an order? If not, I would contact the police and they would have to show them or return your child.

Stewart Littell Courson and Tompkins LLC 3184 Parliament Circle, Suite 204 Montgomery, AL 36116