Alabama  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/26/13, 3:02 pm

My Aunt claimed I abanded my child when she was 1 years old even though I was staying with her. Then she claims she has adopted her even though her daddy nor I signed any papers, they say I have no right to her and I only get to see her for a couple of days. Her medicine is under her birth name but they claim to have changed her name to my Aunts married name is this legal? I live in Alabama my child is 11 now and wants to live with me How can I go about doing this and prove they have illegally taken her away.

1 Answer

Answered on: 5/29/13, 9:13 am by Jennifer Tompkins

You will need to contact the juvenile clerks office in the county that they aunt lives and see if they have a termination of parental rights in your childs name. That would be the only way that there was a permanent order terminating your rights. Without that, they may have temporary custody and that could be changed through courts.

Have you seen an order? If not, I would contact the police and they would have to show them or return your child.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Stewart Littell Courson and Tompkins LLC 3184 Parliament Circle, Suite 204 Montgomery, AL 36116

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search