Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

custody of 13 yo residing in my home

How can I get custody of a 13 year old that has resided in my home since 2004. Biological parents are divorced, father had custody sent them to live with me in 2004 then passed away in 2006. Mother incarcerated with state of Alabama until 2024, refuses to give guardianship. They are of no blood relative! Two older siblings ages 19 and 18 also reside in our residence.

Asked on 5/07/08, 4:58 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Walter Blocker Walter l. Blocker, III P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: custody of 13 yo residing in my home

in order to obtain custody you will have to file a petition to obtain custody in circuit court. the court will set the matter for a hearing and the court will determine who should have custody of the child. the biological parent has an advantage in such a contest with a non blood relative. the alabama DHR will have an active role in determining the best interest of the child. it will be very complicated and time consuming.

Read more
Answered on 5/12/08, 10:24 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now