Legal Question in Family Law in Alabama

if a single mother puts her last name on her childs birth certificate but does list the fathers name as the father, can he have it changed to his last name?

Asked on 10/18/13, 8:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Mari Morrison Mari Morrison, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The mother has all legal rights to the child, including naming the child. The only thing you can do is go to court for a paternity test and legal standing as the father. Then you have to show a compelling reason why the child should have your last name. Also, this is the first step to requiring you to pay child support as well.

Read more
Answered on 10/21/13, 9:03 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Alabama

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now