Legal Question in Elder Law in Arizona

I have Power of Attorney for my 70 year old disabled sister. She has a will and a living will, but her will doesn't specify who will get her household belongings when she passes. She has no assets otherwise (in fact, has $5000+ in credit card debt as of now). We have other siblings. If not specified in her will, what will have to be done with her household belongings? Thank you

Asked on 9/09/13, 3:20 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Donald Scher Donald T. Scher & Associates, P.C.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If she has a Will, then that document says who gets her "household belongings," even though she did not make a specific gift of a particular item. The will should state who receives the rest and residue of her estate and that is who gets the household items. Your POA must be "durable" or it is invalid at the moment your sister became incapacitated. If it is a durable POA, you do not have the authority to decide who gets these items of her property.

Read more
Answered on 9/09/13, 4:52 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Elder Law questions and answers in Arizona

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now