California  |  Business Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/04/10, 7:29 am

Good evening,

I'm a PE teacher and have been a certified personal trainer recently. I want to keep my main job which is PE teacher and work as a personal trainer during my free time. I would like to know if I can combine those 2 jobs knowing that I would be an employee on one hand and an independent contractor on the other hand?

Thank you.

2 Answers

Answered on: 2/09/10, 8:42 am by Ronnie Gipson

Unless your contract with the school as a PE teacher includes a term which forbids you to engage in consulting, then you should not have a problem running your own personal training business. There may be other factors that need to be considered. To discuss, I encourage you to contact our firm. Our contact information is on our website at

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Higa & Gipson, LLP 71 Stevenson Street, 4th Floor San Francisco, CA 94105

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 2/11/10, 4:37 pm by Bruce Beal

Whether you are working as an employee or independent contractor as a trainer should not be relevant. What should be relevant are any provisions in your employment/union agreement agreement that relate to this issue. Absent same, the issue will become whether your trainer work will cause the performance of your school job description to deteriorate to the point that disciplinary action is taken against you, including possibly termination.

Proviso: My response does not constitute legal advice, as I do not know all of the relevant facts of your case, and I do not legally represent you. Although I strive to make sure the information I provide is generally accurate and useful, you should promptly consult an able lawyer who can learn the unique details of your case more completely in a confidential relationship to ensure that the information I provide, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation.

Contact: If you would like to discuss this matter further in a more private forum, please feel free to contact me directly at the email address provided through Law Guru or through my firmís website located at

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Beal Business Law 34232 Pacific Coast Highway Ste D Dana Point, CA 92629

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search