Legal Question in Business Law in California

Starting Consulting business: how to manage intellectual property?

I am planning to start up a small consulting business in the area of scientific algorithm development and data analysis. Basically, I'm going to develop algorithms and write the software to address client problems. This is a sole proprietorship.

I am happy to deliver the software source code and corresponding documentation to the customer, but I'm concerned that I will not be able to use similar methods, or even the same method, to address subsequent problems. I have no problem giving them the code and then letting them incorporate it into a larger proprietary software package, but I want to make sure that the ideas that I have originated and implemented are reusable by me in a subsequent situation. Note that I would not be using the same source code to help another client, just the ideas (which are a lot of math).

The standard contracts I have found don't seem to apply to this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Starting Consulting business: how to manage intellectual property?

Additionally, it sounds like it would be a good idea to have a unique licensing agreement with each client since it sounds like the work you will be doing is unique to their needs.

I have extensive experience developing and negotiated software agreements like this so let me know if I can help you in any way.

Cathy Cowin Law Offices of Cathy Cowin

A software licensing agreement with your clients will address this problem. There are specific terms to clarify your intent. I have experience in this area and would be happy to meet with you to develop an agreement that meets your specific needs.

Michael Stone Law Offices of Michael B. Stone Toll Free 1-855-USE-MIKE

Aside from it being preferable to pay some attorney to write your licensing agreements, have you considered releasing your math algorithms as a closed-source function library API released as one or more .dll files? Have you considered releasing a MATLAB plug-in?

More Business Law questions and answers in California

Business Law Legal Forms