California  |  Business Law

Starting Consulting business: how to manage intellectual property?

I am planning to start up a small consulting business in the area of scientific algorithm development and data analysis. Basically, I'm going to develop algorithms and write the software to address client problems. This is a sole proprietorship.

I am happy to deliver the software source code and corresponding documentation to the customer, but I'm concerned that I will not be able to use similar methods, or even the same method, to address subsequent problems. I have no problem giving them the code and then letting them incorporate it into a larger proprietary software package, but I want to make sure that the ideas that I have originated and implemented are reusable by me in a subsequent situation. Note that I would not be using the same source code to help another client, just the ideas (which are a lot of math).

The standard contracts I have found don't seem to apply to this issue.

Thanks in advance.