Legal Question in Consumer Law in California

Today, I sold a puppy to lady and she asked if we could take a check. I told her we could as long as we got her license number. She wrote down her license number on the check and I verified to make sure it matched. She took the puppy and later my family asked why I took a check. I told them I took it because I got her license number and we can dispute if she had a bad check. They continued to tell me that it is impossible to get the money back because the name on the check was a male's name and she was a female. Previously, she told me that she was purchasing this for her boyfriend so I didn't really think much of it. So my question is, if I have the license number of the woman who wrote the check and the checks are not hers, can I still take legal action? Wouldn't that be considered forging a check? What if the checks were hers? Thanks, this is really on my mind.

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

Cash the check first and see what happens. If the check is good there is no problem.

More Consumer Law questions and answers in California

Consumer Law Legal Forms