Legal Question in Credit and Debt Law in California

I was served with papers to collect a debt and am bring sued, what do I do? Do I nerd a lawyer?

Asked on 9/05/13, 8:50 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Steven Simons Law Office of Steven A. Simons
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to respond to the lawsuit. You have at most 30 days from the date you received the papers. If you do nothing the debt collector will take a judgment against you. I beleive you need a lawyer, although some people can handle the lawsuit on their own. Check for an attorney in your area who specializes in credit card defense.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 9:00 pm
Joel Selik
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Hiring an attorney may depend on the amounts of money involved, if it pays to get an attorney, and your desire to do the work to represent yourself.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/13, 8:32 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Credit, Debt and Collections Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Credit, Debt and Collections Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now