Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

In american justice system if i commit murder, can the victim's heir or heirs forgive me and have the case against me withdrawn?

Asked on 9/16/13, 6:20 am

3 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


Read more
Answered on 9/16/13, 7:10 am
Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. Criminal cases are brought by the government, not by the victim or the victim's family. The government acts on behalf of the People generally, not just those who were affected by a particular crime. Victims and their relatives do not get to decide whether or how the cases are brought, tried, dismissed, etc.

The prosecutor usually want to know how the victims and their families feel. Sometimes those feelings will influence the prosecutor's decisions. But I cannot imagine a prosecutor dismissing a murder charge because the victim's family wants her to.

Read more
Answered on 9/16/13, 10:36 am
Terry A. Nelson Nelson & Lawless
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed


If serious about hiring counsel to help in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Iíll be happy to help fight and get the best outcome possible, using whatever defenses and sympathies there may be.

Read more
Answered on 9/17/13, 12:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now