Legal Question in Criminal Law in California

My friend got charged with personal injury and grave threat during a party where all the persons involved are drunk/with influence of alcohol. Anyway, things got heated up and two persons got hurt. My friend only helped pacify the situation but since my friend and the one of two people who got hurt had a bad history, he got included in the case. Any help in the counter case to be filed against the person who filed?

Asked on 7/12/13, 6:54 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It sounds like your friend wants to sue the person who made the police report. California does not allow such claims. Police reports are privileged and cannot support a civil judgment. If the report was false and the person who made it deliberately lied, then she committed a crime and can be prosecuted for it. But the people she identified cannot sue her successfully.

Read more
Answered on 7/12/13, 11:36 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now