California  |  DUI Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 11/06/13, 7:30 pm

I was convicted of a DUI (prescription medication error), which was my first ever court appearance and legal issue (I'm 57). I didn't understand much of the jargon or the consequences of a guilty plea. I lost my license for 6 months and was ordered to attend classes. I did not have an opportunity to explain myself and was told by my PD that he met with the judge and DA and they already decided my case. At the time I did not know I could ask for another attorney, or question this. So I contacted a few attorneys and asked. One attorney expressed interest in helping me stating that the DMV only has jurisdiction over alcohol. I started feeling like there was some hope and this was all a big error. 6 months later I am loosing my momentum, I've totally lost faith in the attorney and at this point I just want my license back and I'm not wanting to go through with this, specifically because of this attorney. I've heard him say he is going to do something on my case and he never does it. He makes comments like the one that hooked me (about the DMV having jurisdiction only over alcohol), then I find out he is incorrect. He won't return my calls, won't provide me copies of anything he has submitted to the court on my behalf, won't let me know what to expect when we are in court, didn't tell me there was a warrant issued for me failing to sign up for the court ordered classes when he was asked by me to get these extended because we were submitting a motion to withdraw guilty plea, won't answer my questions. He has wasted my time and money (which I had to borrow). I just want my license back and forget the rest. I don't trust him, I don't know what he is going to say to the court and I can't be a part of this. It is too much stress. MY QUESTION: CAN I WITHDRAW MY MOTION AND ASK THE COURT TO REINSTATE THEIR REQUIREMENTS FOR ME TO GET MY LICENSE BACK? IF SO, HOW CAN I GO ABOUT THIS SINCE THE ATTORNEY I PAID WON'T RETURN MY CALLS?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search