Legal Question in Entertainment Law in California

I have a contract with a book publisher that I signed in October 2012. The contract said that I would have a book proof by May 1st 2013, and by the second quarter of 2013 an audio book and a book trailer. They have four books of mine, but only one in production, and I asked to be released from the contract and the 3 other books returned to me. They refused and said they hadn't broken the contract. The contract also states they would not put me in a bad light, but they have just put my book on amazon with terrible editing and formatting. I have waited over nine months to have a book published and it's a mess. They have failed to live up to their promises with emails and although I can give them 60 days notice to get out of the contract, I don't want to leave them with my other 3 books not in production.

I don't know whether this comes into it, but the contract was done in Virginia and they have now moved to Florida. What can I do to get out of this without losing my books to them?

John Laurie Gertz and Laurie

You need to have the contract reviewed by an attorney. If you would like feel free to call my office at 818 345-0123

Jim Betinol Withrow and Betinol Law

I would agree with the attorney above. You will need to have a contract or intellectual property licensing attorney review your agreement.

Best,

Jim

More Entertainment & Sport Law questions and answers in California

Entertainment & Sport Law Legal Forms