California  |  Entertainment Law

I have a contract with a book publisher that I signed in October 2012. The contract said that I would have a book proof by May 1st 2013, and by the second quarter of 2013 an audio book and a book trailer. They have four books of mine, but only one in production, and I asked to be released from the contract and the 3 other books returned to me. They refused and said they hadn't broken the contract. The contract also states they would not put me in a bad light, but they have just put my book on amazon with terrible editing and formatting. I have waited over nine months to have a book published and it's a mess. They have failed to live up to their promises with emails and although I can give them 60 days notice to get out of the contract, I don't want to leave them with my other 3 books not in production.

I don't know whether this comes into it, but the contract was done in Virginia and they have now moved to Florida. What can I do to get out of this without losing my books to them?

Answered on: 8/17/13, 11:00 pm by John Laurie

You need to have the contract reviewed by an attorney. If you would like feel free to call my office at 818 345-0123

Gertz and Laurie 18321 Ventura Boulevard Suite 900 Tarzana, CA 91356

Answered on: 8/19/13, 12:11 pm by Jim Betinol

I would agree with the attorney above. You will need to have a contract or intellectual property licensing attorney review your agreement.

Best,

Jim

Withrow and Betinol Law 520 Broadway Ste. 350 Santa Monica, CA 90401