California  |  Family Law

County failed to notify me of mothers death. Put her in Foster care

When i was about 19 or 20 (im 40 now) I had one night stand. 3 or 4 years later, I was served with papers saying i was a father, etc. I had a DNA test that came back positive. I made a few attempts to make contact with my Daughter over the years but it seemed that I was being blocked by her mother. I accepted that because i thought I had little choice.

A few days ago I recieved a call from the county Social Services where she lives.I was told that my daughter turned 18, was about to be emancipated from the system and wished to make contact. I of course am happy about meeting her....but i wondered why social service was involved here in the first place. I asked her where her mother was and was told that she died when my daughter was young!!! I asked why I was not informed of this before she was put into the system and the case worker did not know. (she saqid she was new).

I dont know for how many years she has been in foster care when I could have raised her. I am very upset. Were my rights as a father violated? What recourse is there? What are my options?