Legal Question in Family Law in California

Custody Battle for a couple never married.

MY cousin and his girlfirend recently had a baby. They are living with his parents and he works, creating a 3 income home for his child. She does not work, go to school, or do anything. Recently, she has begun to blatantly carry on an affair in their home, and when they tried to stop it, she threatened that they would never see the baby again. Her mother will not take her in, so she really has no other place to live if she is kicked out. My family does not have the resources to afford bringing an attorney into a custody battle and do not want to lose the baby. Any advice?

Asked on 5/19/09, 11:12 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

James Chau Law Offices James Chau
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Custody Battle for a couple never married.

I would file for a parentage action to determine the parents of the child and establish custody/support. I would suggest educating yourself at the local court house self help center and reading some family law books to learn about the process. If you can agree it should not be a difficult process.

Good luck. Please consult with a local attorney prior to taking any legal action.

Law Offices James Chau

181 Devine St.

San Jose, CA. 95110

Read more
Answered on 5/20/09, 9:59 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now