Legal Question in Family Law in California

Ive been divorced since 2007 and was mandated by the judge to pay alimony. My question is how long do I have to pay alimony or how can I reduce the amount I pay due to a reduction in my income since the divorce?

Asked on 8/21/13, 11:05 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Gary R. White Burton & White
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Spousal support, which does not have a termination date in the judgment, is payable until modified by court order, absent agreement or death of a party. You need to return to court and seek a modification of spousal support based upon changed circumstances. Consulting with an attorney might be worthwhile.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 11:41 am
Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should look at the terms of the order. Unless they specify a termination date, then the answer by Mr. White is correct.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/13, 9:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now