Legal Question in Family Law in California

I have had my kids for the last two years full time. My divorce was finally finalized last December and I just filed for child support in feb. Nothing has happened yet because she fails to appear or file an income and expense declaration. I think I am finally getting somewhere now that her lawyer is involved. My question is can I get back child support for the last two years that I have had the kids? I have not received anything monetary for the kids at all.

You cannot get child support any earlier than the date of filing your petition. (See Family Code section 4009.) I don't understand why you didn't seek child support pendente lite, and instead waited until your marital status was terminated.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California