Legal Question in Family Law in California

I have had my kids for the last two years full time. My divorce was finally finalized last December and I just filed for child support in feb. Nothing has happened yet because she fails to appear or file an income and expense declaration. I think I am finally getting somewhere now that her lawyer is involved. My question is can I get back child support for the last two years that I have had the kids? I have not received anything monetary for the kids at all.

Asked on 6/09/13, 9:44 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You cannot get child support any earlier than the date of filing your petition. (See Family Code section 4009.) I don't understand why you didn't seek child support pendente lite, and instead waited until your marital status was terminated.

Read more
Answered on 6/12/13, 6:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now