California  |  Family Law

I received a Request to Default from my wife, I'm not sure what to do or what follows. She filled for divorce and had court regarding child support. What should I do? Judge ordered a certain amount deductible from my pay check but nothing has been withdrawn yet. I'm really confused and willing to comply.

Answered on: 5/05/13, 9:55 pm by Jacob Kiani

So then there's no problem. Comply and pay your child support as ordered by the judge.

Law Office of Jacob I. Kiani 468 North Camden Drive, Suite 200 Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Answered on: 5/05/13, 10:22 pm by B. Stuart Walker

If you have been ordered to pay child support, you are liable for the monthly amount, even if there is no withholding order submitted to your employer. If your wife has taken your default, what follows is a judgement of divorce. Before the judgement, the court may require your wife to go to court for a prove up hearing to determine if everything is above board. You may want to attend this hearing to give evidence in case your wife is trying to take advantage. Plug your case number into the court web site http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/. in the family law section for a better idea of what is going on.

Law Office of B. Stuart Walker 115 Pine Ave Suite 420 Long Beach, CA 90802

Answered on: 5/06/13, 12:15 pm by Anthony Roach

You need to talk to a family lawyer, in person. It sounds as though you have defaulted, which means you have failed to respond to a summons and divorce petition. That lawyer is going to want to see the paperwork that has been filed against you, and talk to you about what you want and whether it is fair.

Law Office of Anthony A. Roach 9909 Topanga Canyon, Ste.313 Chatsworth, CA 91311