California  |  Civil Litigation

I live in california. 1 week ago today I sold a used motor that last I knew ran fine. I signed a bill of sale saying guarenteed it ran because from what I knew it did. Now a week later the people are calling saying they got it installed [in a 1996 honda civic] which my ad states its for a 92-95 honda civic, now saying it works but there is a knocking noise (which I truly was unaware it had) and they want there money back. I say fine cause I'm not a mean person. But then the guy says well it will be a few weeks because he has to get together the money to pay his mechanic to take the motor back out. Am I obligated to refund him almost a month later when he will have the motor this long in his care?

Answered on: 7/26/13, 7:22 pm by Kelvin Green

You have learned your lesson the hard way on making promises and warranties on used auto parts. I would give him a reasonable time frame to return the engine to you. The longer it is in the car, he will gets use of it and it increases the wear on it. A few weeks to remove it would not be acceptable to me... Keep the money so you can return it but there should be a point where the engine is his. Send him a letter...

The Law Office of Kelvin Green . California Bar #286285, CA ..