Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

Is it legal for security guard on parking lot to ask and write down my name? Name is a PII and can be used to identify and track the person. Especially when linked with other information (vehicle plate number, name of child's school, etc.) My child goes to gym and today security guard on parking lot start asking name of every driver who entering the parking lot. he say this is what landlord told them to do. I'm not dealing with landlord directly but I'm a customer of company who renting this gym. Of course company who renting this gym knows their customers but do not have authorization to share private information with anyone. As far as I know there are some regulations how PII can be collected and stored. I suspect they violating my rights, they do not have a reason to collect names and write them down. My name is not a big secret I think it is inappropriate to share it with every security guard on every parking lot. What do you think? By the way security guard was in uniform but did not introduce himself before asked my name.

Mark Saltzman, MBA, JD Law Offices of Mark E. Saltzman

The security guard can ask your name and require it for admittance on the premises. You have no legal right to use the gym or park in its lot. It's your choice as to whether you want to comply with the landlord's requirements for admittance. Perhaps, it will help to call the gym and let it know that you will stop patronizing that gym, if the landlord's policy remains the same.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms