Legal Question in Civil Litigation in California

The vehicle lease is under my name. And my friend drives the car and is being insured. But he disappeared, leaving me with all the payments. Can I report the car stolen and get the car back? He is no longer being permitted to drive the vehicle anymore. Can I take the car without his consent?

Asked on 10/02/13, 12:30 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If someone takes a car you are leasing without your permission, then you need to notify the company you lease it from and the police. Why would you keep making payments on a stolen car?

Read more
Answered on 10/02/13, 1:30 pm
Kelvin Green The Law Office of Kelvin Green
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Self help also never works well. So although lease is in your name, he has possession. You gave consent, I think you need to take steps to revoke that consent in writing.. But as Mr Roach so aptly put it why would you make payments on a stolen car?

Read more
Answered on 10/02/13, 6:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now