California  |  Insurance Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/21/09, 6:10 pm

DUI and adult child's insurance

My son was convicted of DUI when he was 20. He's now over 21, has been without his license for the requisite 12 months and now wants insurance so he can get his license back. I carry a lot of coverage in my own policy but am only willing to buy him a minimum-requirement policy under CA law. I am paying his college tuition and all living expenses. My question is this: In the worst-case scenario, e.g. when there's someone dead or in a wheelchair as a result of an accident for which my son is deemed to be liable -- what is the likelihood that my assets can be at risk, as well? IOW, are we kidding ourselves that by insuring him separately, not allowing him to drive any of our cars, and covering him at the legal minimum level, our assets are sufficiently protected?

Thank you

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search