California  |  Insurance Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/31/11, 2:01 pm

I am a licensed contractor. I was hired by an insurance company to do emergency restoration work to a homeowner's house after a water pipe broke. I did the restoration work. The homeowner's insurance policy says that the insurance company will issue a check to the homeowner and then the homeowner is to pay me. Now the homeowner refuses to pay me. I want to know if I can sue the Insurance Company for not including my name on the check. I am intending on suing the homeowner immediately and want to know if I have any legal recourse against the insurance company.

Experienced California Attorneys

At the Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi we handle most types of Personal Injury Cases and Tort cases including: automobile, truck, motorcycle, pedestrian, bike, and slip and fall accidents, dog bites, wrongful death, legal malpractice, medical malpractice and products liability cases. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call 1-800-LAW-TALK.

For more information visit us at

2 Answers

Answered on: 10/31/11, 2:06 pm by Timothy McCormick

You cannot sue the insurance company for not including you on the check. You may, however, have other grounds to include the insurance company depending on exactly how the contract was entered into and who signed it. You should talk to a local construction law attorney.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Libris Solutions - Dispute Resolution Services 201 Spear St., Suite 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 10/31/11, 2:54 pm by Steven Murray

I suggest you contact the adjuster who hired you. You must have some kind of relationship with it, and explain the situation. It can probably force the insured to pay you as this might be a fraud on the insurer. You might be able to hold the insurer responsible depending on the details on your retention. The fact that the policy says one thing does not bind you, your agreement was with the insurer (it appears) and not with the insured person. Insurers have been held responsible for paying claimants directly without naming the claimant's attorney. Good luck.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Steven W. Murray, APC 14930 Ventura Blvd., Ste. 205 Sherman Oaks, CA 91403

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search