California  |  Juvenile Dependency

Legal Question

Asked on: 4/25/13, 5:00 pm

I am the bio aunt to my sisters three kids who were taken from her and placed into foster care 3 years ago. And due to circumstances of my own, I was unable to get them, so now, the foster mom (who had the opportunity to adopt them and turned it down) has non-relative guardianship of them. I am now able to care for them, and so I applied for an appeal of her guardianship, but was denied, stating it wasn't in the best interest of the children (although I have passed a background check etc) the file contained no details as to why or anything, so I contacted the court and the kids social worker, each seem to have no idea what I should do next. I just need to know how to appeal, or should I refile, or where I go from here, I do not have enough money to hire a lawyer. Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

1 Answer

Answered on: 4/26/13, 12:23 pm by Paul A. Swiller


You can appeal or, if an appreciable period of time has gone by since the Court's last ruling, you can also re-apply. It's obviously your decision, but I would recommend that you find a way to use an attorney so that you can put on the best case possible.

Good luck!

Paul A. Swiller, Esq.

Tot Law

1901 1st Ave., Second Fl.

San Diego, CA 92101

Tel: 619.794.2018

Fax: 619.235.4595


Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Tot Law 1901 1st Ave., Second Fl. San Diego, CA 92101

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search