California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/04/10, 9:28 am


I am living in an apartment community in Costa Mesa. This is a big apartment community owner, and have hundreds of apartment communities.

I am moving to a different state and wanted to check what would be the consequences if:

- I don't pay the lease break fee and move out

- I don't pay the apartment community the discount (two months' rent off) that they gave when I signed the lease for 15 months

Will they be able to:

- Freeze my bank accounts

- Hold/seize on my federal tax return

- File a criminal case against me?

Please let me know

1 Answer

Answered on: 2/09/10, 9:49 am by Roy Hoffman

If you breach your lease the landlord will be able to sue you. If a judgment is entered against you in that lawsuit, the landlord will be able to obtain a Writ of Execution and will be able to levy upon your wages and bank accounts, among other things. The landlord will not, however, be able to "file a criminal case" against you.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Offices of Roy A. Hoffman PO Box 8170 Moreno Valley, CA 92552

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search