California  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

How can I prevent a possible retaliation claim yet also issue a rent increase and notice to vacate that I intended for a while?

A tenant in a SD bldg sent me a text message asking if I would offer a rent concession for missing 5 days of hot water while we fixed plumbing. I havenít acknowledged receipt of the message yet. I have planned for months to increase his rent with a 60 day notice (by about 50% to bring it up to market) and ask him to leave in 90 days so I can renovate his unit. I also planned to send the same notices to another tenant simultaneously. I already renovated 2 other units in the bldg (one vacant) and filled them with new tenants at higher, market rates.

Q1: how can I reduce risk that tenant might prevail on a claim that I retaliated by applying a rent increase and request to vacate shortly after receiving his request for rent concession? Will giving him the rent increase and notice to vacate at the same time as I do for the other tenant be enough? Q2: would it be safer to offer a rent concession before or after issuing the combined notice of rent increase and to vacate? Q3: What would a court deem as an ample rent concession for the missed hot water?