California  |  Legal Malpractice

Legal Question

Asked on: 3/24/13, 6:20 pm

Is it possible (to be successful) suing an opposing lawyer for malpractice? I recently had to defend a CA divorce action from a person to whom I am not married; we were divorced in another State years ago - property was divided and alimony not awarded. We were not married in CA (but did live there, among other States, for a time). Attached was a request for alimony and a UCCJEA child support request for her children who live in CA, and for whom I already had judgments of non-paternity.

I am not a resident of the State of CA where this was all filed, so there was no jurisdiction, and had previous jurisdictional dismissals for similar suits by the same party. The above case was dismissed with prejudice, but my costs to get that done were significant.

The lawyer that brought this suit was aware of all of the above, even conceding our divorced status and non-paternity in their initial pleadings. They offered a lot of statements, but never any legal grounds. We did request sanctions against the plaintiff in our motion to quash, but they were not granted; possibly because she is unemployed and has no income to pay.

I want my costs to defend this mess back.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search