Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

I need help naming the defendant in Orange County, CA small claims case.

I contracted food poisoning from a fast food restaurant and need to take them to small claims. This is a national chain and the individual restaurant is a franchise owned by the XYZ Corp. I have their agent for service of process from the state website.

How do I list the defendant? Is it XYZ Corp dba Fast Food Restaurant? I am confused, because the corporation did not make me sick, but they are the legal owners of the restaurant that did.

Asked on 6/02/13, 4:59 pm

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Joel Selik
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The entity that did this to you appears to be the xyz corporation as they own and operate the restaurant. I would, therefore, name xyz corportion (and you can state dba chain). Then the agent would be served with the complaint.

Read more
Answered on 6/02/13, 5:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88683 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Personal Injury Law and Tort Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Craig EpifanioCraig Epifanio, P.A.St Petersburg, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now