Legal Question in Personal Injury in California

how do yoy sue the director of the state lottery?

what is the nature of the suite when you file for a civil suite? Statutes? Torts?

Asked on 5/13/12, 2:58 am

Experienced Mesothelioma Attorneys - SEG Law

Simon, Eddins & Greenstone, LLP, (SEG Law) is one of the country's most prominent trial law firms specializing in representing victims of cancer caused from exposure to hazardous substances such as asbestos. The firm was built on a shared passion to diligently and compassionately serve each client through every step of the legal process.

For more information visit us at

1 Answer from Attorneys

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

The nature of any lawsuit depends upon what the plaintiff claims the defendant did wrong. Since I don't know what you believe the lottery director did , I can't point to any statutes or even tell you whether your claim involves torts, contract, both, or neither. But I can tell you that, if you are thinking about suing the director in his official capacity, you should probably sue the lottery itself instead (or at least in addition). Note also that there are strict deadlines for suing public entities and officials, and that you must typically make an administrative claim before you sue.

If you are considering a lawsuit for his actions as an individual -- in other words, if he wronged you in away that was not related to his job -- then the fact that he directs the lottery should be irrelevant to how you file the lawsuit.

I urge you to consult with an attorney before you do anything further. You may not have a viable claim at all; if that it so, you should find out sooner rather than later. And if you do have a viable claim, you will want a lawyer to handle it properly.

Read more
Answered on 5/13/12, 4:24 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in California