California  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/04/13, 10:22 am

I broke up with my boyfriend and moved out in August 2012, I am still a 50% co owner on the house. I left my cats there do I have a legal right to go and get them now??

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/04/13, 10:31 am by Bryan Whipple

Yes, provided that you can do so without creating a "disturbance of the peace," although you might owe your ex-boyfriend his reasonable cost of 14 months of cat food. The more important issue between you will be how you'll eventually divide your co-ownership of the house. maybe it is time to consider winding up the co-ownership, which can be done voluntarily, or if necessary, involuntarily (on his part) by your asking the court to "partition" the property. This is done through a court-administered sale, with the net proceeds being divided "fairly" between the former co-owners by court order, taking into account any unequal costs borne or rents received by the parties.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Bryan R. R. Whipple, Attorney at Law P O Box 318 Tomales, CA 94971-0318

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search