Legal Question in Real Estate Law in California

My wife and I own a condo in Los Angeles county (CA) valued at around $170,000. We purchased as a primary residence and lived in it for 4 years. We have two mortgages on the property (the second was a home equity line used to renovate the property), both totaling around $318,000.

We moved out of the condo 3 years ago because my family had grown, and no longer fit in the small space. We rent another townhome for ourselves, and rent our condo that we own to tenants.

My question is: If we engage in a short sale, will we be taxed on the difference of what we sell for versus what we originally owe (viewed as income)? Are we protected under the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act? If not, are there any options that will cause us to be eligible that are within our control?

Asked on 5/15/13, 5:04 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Roach Law Office of Anthony A. Roach
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

My understanding is that the exemption only applies to a principal residence, not a former residence.

You may want to repost this in a category for taxation to get more attorney response.

Read more
Answered on 5/17/13, 10:02 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now