Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

In 2007 my brother passed without a will. My sister made herself Administrator and collected most of the estate, not making an inventory, and when asked about anything, the answer was "he must have sold it", leaving a few trinkets for myself and another brother. I realize there is nothing that can be done, especially now regarding any family items. My concern is this, the sister (who is still legally married) passed in 2013 and her girlfriend/attorney (that the sister was living with) has told me that I need to sign a paper giving her (the attorney) the right to sell a vehicle belonging to the deceased brother. So my question is this...why me? Wouldn't the estranged husband own the vehicle now and be the person from whom a signature is required?

Was she the administrator because she said so or was she issued Letters of Administration from the court? This whole thing sounds hokey to me.

William Christian Rodi Pollock

I agree. Do you even know whose name is on title to the car? There are simply to many unknowns to really be able to answer your question in a meaningful manner.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California