Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

In California Probate Court the personal representative is supposed to file with the court an inventory of assets of the decedent within 120 days. What happens if you are unable to meet this deadline. Can it be extended? Who should you contact?

Asked on 6/13/13, 4:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Jordan Dunning Law Firm
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

It is probably best to file a "Preliminary" I&E listing the assets you know about. Then a supplemental list can be filed later. If you cannot do that, you would need to file a petition for extension of time.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 4:45 pm
Victor Waid Law Office of Victor Waid
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Mr. Jordan is correct. However, and in addition to his answe, I would advise you to obtain the assistance of probate counsel, as doing your own representation doesn't save you time or money in the long run; probate counsel can be paid out of the estate assets when the estate closes, and counsel payment must be approved by the court.

Read more
Answered on 6/13/13, 4:50 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now