California  |  Wills and Trusts

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/11/10, 8:57 pm

Hello. I have been named executor of my father's revocable Living Trust. I changed my name when I got married 25 years ago; replacing my original middle name with my family's last name; and adopting the last name of my husband. (Example here: My maiden name was R.Y.D. and my married name is R.D. H.) My father showed me the Trust document a few weeks ago, and my name is on it with the old middle name and the married surname (R.Y.H.). My father and his attorney (who drafted the will) both say it is okay to leave it this way; nothing will be affected. I am very nervous about this, however, since I have a brother and a sister who are co-beneficiaries (as am I) on the Trust, and I fear that my sister, in particular, would take unfair advantage of the misspelled name in order to invalidate my assignment to executorship. Please tell me, should I go to the Social Services office and add my old middle name in to my legal name? (I live in California). Thank you very much.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search