Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in California

Can a trust be amended by one settler if the other is mentally incapacitated?

Asked on 9/05/13, 8:40 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Michele Cusack Pollak & Cusack
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

depends on the language in the trust, but usually not. The well settlor usually can revoke as to his/her separate property, and possibly as to his/her half interest in community property.

Read more
Answered on 9/05/13, 9:12 pm
William Christian Rodi Pollock
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You will need to review carefully the terms of the trust. The trust may provide a method to accomplish what you want. In general, though, the competent spouse can amend or revoke only the portion over which that spouse has ownership rights. That measns your half of the community and your separate property. There are certain circumstances and procedures where court petitions can be used to allow modification, but they are complex and generally require that the amendments be in the best interests of the incapacitated spouse. You really need to engage capable trust counsel to review the document and what you wnat to acompliish, then provide you a fact specific analysis of your position.

Read more
Answered on 9/06/13, 9:50 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in California

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now