Legal Question in Workers Comp in California

I work as an independent contractor/freelance assistant for a sculptor in Los Angeles. I work in his studio 5 days a week and I use my car to run errands for the artist. I was recently injured on the job and I had to take off several days. I also had to go to the doctor and buy some medical supplies, neck brace, knee brace and shoulder brace due to my work place accident as well as pain medication. When I asked my employer if he has workman's comp to help take care of my medical bills and to help cover my time off he became very defensive. He told me because I am a freelancer I do not qualify for workman's comp in the state of California. Is this true? In the state of California is my employer exempt from providing workman's comp to his full time freelance employees?

Experienced Workers' Compensation Attorneys

The Law Offices of Eslamboly & Barlavi has over 20 years of experience helping injured workers all over California. We can help you recover for your injuries as a result of an accident at work. We only get paid if we recover compensation for you. Visit our website or call us for a free consultation about your case at 1-800-LAW-TALK.

ARMAN MOHEBAN LAW OFFICES OF ARMAN MOHEBAN

There are over 20 factors that determines whether some one is employee or independent contractor. Feel free to call me at 213-388-7070 for a free consultation.

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in California

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms