Legal Question in Military Law in Colorado

civilian on military base

My daughter works for a company selling magazines. They sent her to a military base to sell subscriptions. She was detained by base officials (MP?)who issued a citation because civilians are not allowed to do that. What kind of legal proceedings, fines can she expect? Is this a federal crime? Of what degree? How should we handle this? Does it require a court appearance and plea? She is not a minor.

Donald G. Rehkopf, Jr. Brenna, Brenna & Boyce, PLLC

Re: civilian on military base

Without seeing the citation, it is hard to give you a specific response. If she has a "notice to appear" or if there is anything that refers to the U.S. Magistrate's Court, then yes, she has been charged with a criminal offense(s), which might include, "trespassing" "solicitation without a permit" etc. and while they are probably all misdemeanors, it will be a federal "conviction" on her record if convicted. By all means, she needs a lawyer - who MIGHT be able to get the charges dismissed if they can show that the company directed her to do this, but didn't tell her how to do it legally! NOT all lawyers are qualified to handle these "military" types of cases. If you tell me the location & Base where she was busted, I can email you a name or 2 of capable attorneys who should be able help resolve this.

Do not wait and by all means, make sure that she shows up for court, as if she does not, they will issue a federal warrant for her arrest and then she could very well face jail.

Good luck,

Don Rehkopf

More Military Law questions and answers in Colorado