Connecticut  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/05/13, 6:41 am

MAIN QUESTION: Does filing for bankruptcy discharge a non-custodial parent from making educational payments that were ordered by a divorce decree in Connecticut?

Scenario: Two divorced parents are paying a yearly parental contribution, in equal parts, for their daughter who is a junior in college. The father earns his income from a small business and is planning to file for bankruptcy. Does this mean he will not be obligated to pay his half of the parental contribution due to lack of funds, even though he is required to do so by law as per divorce decree?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search