Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Florida

A case was ordered transferred from the State Circuit Court to the County Court because the dollar amount in jeopardy was ruled to be only $100 (as a matter of law, not fact) rather than the $15K that Circuit Court requires. The Plaintiff failed to pay the transfer fee to County Court, which caused the case to be dismissed without prejudice. Now the Plaintiff claims that since the case was dismissed for a procedural reason without prejudice, that the order determining damages were up to $100 does not survive dismissal and they can refile the same lawsuit in the Circuit Court all over again, hoping for a more favorable judge. Is this true? If they're wrong, how can I prove it?

Asked on 7/23/13, 5:58 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If they can allege facts that support jurisdiction in the Circuit Court they can refile there. If the fail to support those facts, then they get kicked back to the County Court. Be armed with all the prior rulings should they refile it in the Circuit Court. By the way, they cannot forum shop, so if they get a different Circuit Court Judge, you should file a Motion to Transfer back to the original Judge.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 6:02 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

His reasoning is incorrect. That issue is res judicata (previously decided). He may start the suit and raise other issues.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 6:06 am

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now